Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Stew Pot Sunday: Vegetable Curry

Well I made a Vegetable Curry from my Company's Coming Slow Cooker cook book.  It was a FAIL!  It had some really good ingredients in it, stuff that I normal use in my Indian curries, but some how it had a wierd smell and tasted bland.  The funny thing was that 3 out of the 4 kids ate it with no complaints, which I thought was weird.  I won't post the recipe, and I won't be making a curry in a crock anytime soon.  I will have to stick with the traditional version that my great friend Mrs. Gray, who is originally from Fiji, taught me.

The one thing that did turn out is my Roti....Its so simple and easy to make, once you get the hang of it.   I remeber being over at Mr.s G's the first few times when she had invited us over for lunch.  The wonderful smells she could create. 

I was in HEAVEN!

Soon after I asked if she could teach me how and thus began my training.  I remember watching her roll roti out and being so quick and then handing me the rolling pin and me trying to do it to.  I ended up with misshapen ones while her's were always round and perfect.  With practice I've gotten pretty fast.

I want to leave you with a recipe for Roti, but it's kinda hard to do as its all by feel, but I'll give it my best shot.

Roti

2 cups flour
about 1 cup very warm water, use more or less depending on the dough.
vegetable oil
salt to taste

I start with the flour in the bowl, add my salt, and slowly add the water until the dough starts to come together, then I add a splash of oil and work it into the dough.  Make sure you don't add to much water as you don't want the dough to be sticky.  If you've ever made bread or pizza dough you want that soft pliable consistency.  The dough won't be smooth after you've kneaded for a bit, BUT let it rest in a bowl covered for about 10 minutes and it will get a smooth texture.  Divide into about 10 balls, and roll out using flour till very thin.  Meanwhile heat up a dry pan. 

Depending on the stove, you may have a high temp or a med temp or something in between.  I use 5 on my electric stove, Mrs. Gray uses hi on her gas stove.  Its all relative.  You just need a temp that you can easily cook and roll the roti at the same time, without the ones in the pan burning.

Place the roti in the pan and cook until you see the dough changes color and gets dimply, flip, and cook the other side. It will start to puff up, flip again and turn it with you spatula till it gets golden brown spots.  Transfer to  a tea towel and brush one side with melted butter, cover with the towel. 

By the time you are done cooking them, the rest of the roti should be soft and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment