Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Day the Snow Came.

Well, it's September 16th and we are having our first snow storm of the season....I am excited and dismayed.  One because our wonderful summer has officially ended and two...ITS THAT MUCH CLOSER TO YULE/CHRISTMAS!!!!  YIPPEE!!!  My 3rd youngest, Max told me that its Christmas time now, gotta get the tree up! Hmmmmm....I think its a bit early.

Before Mother Nature decided there had been enough summer, Max had also asked me to make him some "Fresh Cookies".  Of course how can you say no to the cutest little guy ever!  I made 2 types of cookies today...one Banana Oatmeal Cookies, which are so yummy and a great alternative to banana bread; and two Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies, a recipe I had never tried before.  Here it is:

Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar1/4 tsp salt
1 cup margerine
2 tsp vanilla
sesame seeds
preserves (jam) any flavor
1 egg




1. Cream butter and sugar together, add egg and vanilla and stir, add salt and flour and incorporate.
2.  Form into balls and roll in sesame seeds, place on cookie sheet
3.  Make thumbprint in the center of each cookie, and fill with 1/4 tsp of jam
4.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, let cool for a few minutes and the remove from pan.



I did a few things to cut corners and save time.  First, I put the sesame seeds in a plastic bag so i could shake them to coat them in the seeds and Second, I used a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon.  It was small enough to fit in the little indentation and gave me the right amount of strawberry jam.  I also made these cookies with my own strawberry jam that I canned last season.

I think this is a great basic recipe....I am imagining lemon curd, raspberry jam, chocolate, double chocolate, apple, mango....the possibilities would and can be endless. They look fabulous and taste soooo  YUMMY!  They literally melt in your mouth!

Enjoy!

Kate


1 comment:

  1. LOL Max, well he's got the right season. Your thumb print cookies look delish, & I think you're onto something with the different filling ideas. mmmm!

    ReplyDelete